Monday, October 1, 2012

By Faith - Part 2

Over the next few weeks, I am going to share 5 principles that God taught me about walking, receiving, or believing something “by faith.” These are not a comprehensive list of principles, nor are they requirements…they are merely the 5 principles that God taught me by experience over the last several months. I hope that they will be a help to you in your journey of faith.



The very first thing that God taught me was not to share my crisis, struggle, or whatever I’m trying to stand in faith for, with just anyone. When we received a bad report from the doctor, the first thing that I did was to go to the Lord in prayer. I needed His comfort and counsel. As His words of truth and comfort began to release a measure of faith in me, the enemy was right there at the door of my mind with his words of doubt and fear. It was a battle to reject the lies of the enemy, and hang on to the Lord’s words of truth.



Staying in the Word and staying in constant communion with the Lord was vital for me. I also recognized that I had to be discerning about who I shared with. I needed to only share with a select few friends and prayer warriors who I knew would stand in faith with me, without doubting, and not waiver. I only shared with those who I knew would wage the war of faith and not entertain any thought of anything less than total victory based on God’s word of truth.



Have you ever noticed what happens to your faith when you share your crisis or obstacle with those whose first response is not one of faith? Perhaps you’ve recently lost your job, but God has encouraged you and reassured you that He has something better for you and He will provide for you. You’re feeling faith-filled, positive, and victorious.



Then you share with a friend or family member that you have recently lost your job. Their first reaction is, “Wow, you know I know someone who was in your industry, and they lost their job 3 years ago, and still haven’t gotten job, and are now on the verge of losing their house. But I know God is faithful, and you’re going to be just fine!” Ugh! You can hear the sucking sound as their first statement just suctions every ounce of faith you had from you. It doesn’t matter what they said after their first statement, no matter how encouraging and faith-filled it may be. The enemy uses that first response to bring doubt and fear and steal every bit of faith that God deposited in you.



In our situation, I knew that even a fearful or shocked look on someone’s face would illicit that sucking sound. When I’d merely see a reaction, I could literally feel the faith being suctioned from my being. I would then have to run back to my prayer closet to spend time with Lord, be re-filled with His words of truth, so that I could go on to fight the good fight of faith.



So if you are facing a crisis or challenge, be discerning who you share it with. Protect the faith that God has deposited in you by only sharing with those who will not entertain the enemy’s words of doubt or fear. Share only with those who will seek God’s truth and war to stay in faith with you. “…not all have faith. But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.” (2 Thessalonians 3:2b-3)


No comments:

Post a Comment